Sunday, January 6, 2013

Jury Duty and Roly Poly

I used to go to the Roly Poly on Perryville Rd across from Peak Fitness and I said to myself "finally - a place with rolled sandwiches!" I didn't even know I liked rolled sandwiches, or wraps if you are not a hipster, until I went to Roly Poly. Then something sad happened. Roly Poly closed down in Loves Park. As so many good places close down and so many Beefaroos stay open one has to ask - who are these people keeping places like Arby's and Beefaroo open? Sorry, I digress.

So, here I am, the Rockford Foodie, stuck in downtown Rockford because I was so lucky to get picked for Jury Duty. Sometimes the word lucky refers to bad luck, as in this case. Seriously, court is not cool. You know that movie where the people are in court and there is a sassy sarcastic bailiff and or judge and its dramatic, intense, and exciting (in other words, every movie that involves the legal system)? Believe it or not, court in real life is dull and boring no matter how much your friend the lawyer tells you otherwise. You may say, well maybe your case was boring, but what about something like the Casey Anthony trial? What you don't realize about that case is that it was so long, and it must have been so boring. As a juror you just sit there and listen to snarky lawyers ask the same questions over and over and you can't say a damn thing. These lawyers beat every single thing to death like a senile old man whipping a horse that has already been shot two hours ago. It took me an entire day just to get selected into the jury and it took an entire day for questioning all the witnesses.

The only good thing was that the judge gave us all a lunch break and I got to go to the downtown Roly Poly. I saw that there was a taco place down the road from the courthouse, and as I entered the food court I saw the Roly Poly. Sorry taco place, you may in fact be great, but you are no Roly Poly.  I got the Buffalo Chicken "hot pressed sandwich" (wrap) and it was amazing. These guys at Roly Poly are not messing around. Their business is making rolled sandwiches and business is good. It was as if amazing spices and flavor and fresh, crisp veggies got together for a drunken one night stand, had a baby, and then I ate that delicious baby. I give Roly Poly an 8.4/10 - Official Rockford Foodie rating.  If it wasn't all the way in downtown Rockford I might even go back there, even if I wasn't stuck on a jury.

No comments:

Post a Comment