Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mashed Up Closes - More of the Same in Rockford

Rockfordians! WTF??? How is it possible that Mashed Up is closed. I wrote a great review for the place and I know that the 60 people that have at least viewed my blog may have said something to at least one other person. So that seems like at least 120 people who had a conversation similar to this -

"Have you heard of this place called Mashed Up, they serve some interesting food that isn't like everything else."
"Cool, I am looking for a great place to eat, do you want to go eat at Mashed Up today?"
"Nah, let's go to Chili's."

Seriously have you driven by a Chilis at around 6pm, its busy. Why does everyone go to Chilis and why can't Mashed Up work. Don't get me wrong, I am also to blame, I only went to Mashed Up once and I do take some responsibility for my actions (I have been to Chilis twice since I went to Mashed and I don't even like Chilis).

Maybe its because Chili's has a great marketing team. When I think about what I want to eat, if I am going out, Mashed just didn't even come to mind. So sad, so sad. Maybe Mashed needed a catchy jingle like Chilis. If anyone starts to sing "Chilllliiissss baby back ribs, Chilis baby back ribs," there will be at least 2 or 3 people come out of nowhere and chime in "with barbecue sauce," and they haven't run those commercials since 2001. They got this catchy jingle that gets more word of mouth than Here Comes Honey Boo Boo (seriously - If I hear one more guy say "I don't watch it, but my wife does," and then go on and talk for 20 minutes about how great the show is.)
One other thing that we here about some businesses is location, location, location. I know I just repeated the same word three times, but that's just what you do when you say the word location. Apparently, using it just once is not enough. I don't know who the hell started this repeating of the word location, but they need to be stopped before it catches on with other areas of life. Imagine if your boss said to you "what do you think about my new proposal" and you reply "I think it sucks, sucks, sucks." If I ever hear someone repeat any word three times like that I am going to lose it, and I am going to find this "location" guy and I will bring him to justice.
Regardless, Mashed Up didn't have a good location. You couldn't see it from State St and it was out of sight out of mind.

So now what Rockford? Are we going to rise up and promote and encourage unique eateries, or are we going to keep going to Chili's and continue to eat unlimited chips and salsa and drink cheap margaritas? (Just writing about those cheap margaritas is getting me thirsty?) I think people like the owners of Mashed Up drive around at 6 pm and see that there are a ton of people eating out in Rockford, they just couldn't find the right combination to break through the trend that is "chain restaurants." Hopefully, these brave entrepreneurs won't give on Rockford Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment